Thursday 19 February 2015

a blind homeless

whenever im on my way home I pass countless people begging out in the streets for money, for food, or showcasing their talents to attract attention and earn a living. There are various ways to do it indeed. But what people don't understand is this is a legit job for most of them. There are actually some who really are much more needy than the others. But people dismiss the homeless thinking them to be fake.

It honestly doesn't hurt to spare change of your own pay slip to someone in need

Today I met a blind homeless. As I was passing by I checked my wallet for any notes. Coins would be a preference but he needed money and looked like it with his unkempt hygiene and hair. So as i bent sown and lightly touched his hand to slip my 20 dollar note in, slightly whispering to him what I'm doing so he wouldn't be startled, he grabbed on to my hand with shaking bony fingers.
I was a bit startled and i was about to pull away when I looked into his eyes and realized he's blind. I had met enough patients in the hospital to understand the glazed look over the eyes staring into nothing, but this time he had tears. A man who couldn't see, could somehow sense me helping him. He turned his face towards mine, as a gasp left my lips, and he whispered thank you so many times. That's when I realized he hadn't eaten.
Compassion filled me when I realized I had food. I usually bring food home for my brother from my workplace but this time someone else needed it more
So i took out the bag of food, that had 2 sandwiches and placed a bottle of water next to his feet,making sure he could sense it so he wouldn't throw it away.

Doing so, the blind homeless had tears brimming from his eyes. And as i smiles softly and made a move to get up and walk away, he looked up at my direction one last time and said "No matter how many problems you face you blessed soul, I hope, no i know you will overcome. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you so much. Thank..." at this point, his words were incohorrent as his gratitude at my little act of kindness washed over him. I squeezed his hand one last time and smiled and started to walk away, when a lady approached me and said "that was nice of you ". I looked back at the man who was feeling around the sandwich and taking huge bites of it, and looked back at her and said "he needed it more than me. "



And the fact that I helped someone just washed away all my tiredness. I work for every cent, and make sure I support myself as much as possible,needing to be independent. And sometimes, giving it away to those in need helps you in turn too.


Give more. Relive the experience of compassion and love. Because no other feeling in the world can compare to what it feels like when you know you saved someone and possibly helped them to live another day.
You never know



With so much love,

-3A.M

No comments:

Post a Comment

Inner child

Oh my friend, my familiar friend I've picked up this pen to write  Too many thoughts of you  Too many anger-filled words Too many sorrow...