Tuesday 14 June 2016

Islam and Terrorism

My name is Semanti, and i was born in India, raised in Thailand, graduated highschool from Indonesia, and Im currently finishing my higher studies in Australia. I am Semanti, defined by my colour, my race, my background, and my religion, because society has tags, labels, and categories, to fit me in through the slots. I am Semanti, because of the clothes i wear, the presidential party i support, and the friends i make. But i am not Semanti because of who i want to be, because then the world would be chaos, it would obliterate the very idea of understanding who each person is.

this is where we are wrong

People dont see an individual through their personality but rather judge them from the decisions they make. People dont see us as humans at first glance, but rather as an opposing individual with a different character. They jump at a chance to judge our mistakes, our failures, and laugh at our wayward journey to succeed. See, we have no solid words to describe these types of people. We call them the bullies, the mean ones, people who dont understand. But do we understand as well even though we are in the shoes that are currently sinking in the ground? I have judged mercilessly, scorned those who keep failing including myself, and frowned at words that are disagreeable. But I have not taken any action. We demand of the government alot of things. Housing, Financial aid, study grants, an endless list of wants and needs. But i do believe some of them we can actually accomplish on our own.

Terrorism

A word that cant be said properly because its so full of hate and pain. At this point, we are at a curve where terrorism is no longer defined by a person's act, but rather by religion. Religion is a war we are facing now, and there are sides being picked, forced upon, as the media continuously brainwashes the gullible ones.

We hear the worst about Muslims.
Their religion called Islam.

And let me tell you this. I am Indian, I am Hindu, But i am not against this religion
My family has faced backlash before from people following the religion of Islam, but never have i ever seen every single Islamic person treat us as thus.
I grew up in so many different cultures, that let me tell you, that some of the university friends i made, even friends in highschool, were muslims, and they were such sweethearts. They still are.

We lets acts of crime turn into a religious war, not noting that there are good people, people who are actually fighting the same people that are causing us so much affliction, agony, and unrest. But our minds, your minds, are shutting these innocents out. Your minds are blocking their good deeds, their kind hearts, and their honest genuine gestures, and you are choosing to see the worst.

Because as humans, to obliterate 'competition', we have to know the worst to get rid of them.

and im so so angry

Because i cant explain how it felt when someone once asked if i was muslim because of the way i look. I felt like dirt. I literally felt like i was the bottom of the food chain being picked out and torn apart because of the look i was being given by the dominant white male. What stopped these feelings were when a homeless guy stood up to him and asked him to get out, for my religion should not affect the quality of his food, and he has no right to judge me on what i choose to follow

even being a non-muslim, i felt so threatened being there on the other side, as i was forced to wear the shoes of a muslim woman.

I am sorry for those who go through this.

i am so so sorry

That even I , as an individual, never bothered to understand what it would feel like to be in your shoes.

I, however, will say how proud i am that you are a muslim
But most importantly
im proud of who you are

i dont care
what religion you follow
the color of your skin
or the achievements you have recieved

i am proud of you as a person

so despite what the world thinks of you
fuck them
because theyre not you
and you and i are better than them
society will keep fucking us
the media wont change
but as long as we stay strong
we keep fighting terrorism
instead of religion

i believe in peace
and i believe in love

Our gods are great.


-Semanti




No comments:

Post a Comment

Inner child

Oh my friend, my familiar friend I've picked up this pen to write  Too many thoughts of you  Too many anger-filled words Too many sorrow...