Saturday 13 August 2022

God was the man of my household

 Forgive my lips as they tremble upon your name

forbidden whispers were beaten out of my being

at an age unsaid and unmarked

For god was he who was stronger than my body

and wiser than my mind 

god was the man of the household

who brought me to life


Forgive me if I close my eyes at your touch

it brings back memories that have no light

of darkness unkept and unhindered

For god was he who visited me at night

and crept into my covers with hands so old

God was the man of the household

who held me till my bones grew weary and old


Forgive my fears they seep so freely

Your soul lingers in the corners of the house

with the touch of anguish and peril

Our house was never my home

For god still speaks through me

every time I raise a hand to my unborn children 

He speaks of fear and terorr, of darkness and might

I fear that one day, in the shadow of night

God will give me his mantle

to carry on his deeds in his name

But I am a follower

a timid worshipper at this feet

my unshed tears are the testimony

That I can run as far as I can

But you and I shall always meet.


God was the man of my household.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Inner child

Oh my friend, my familiar friend I've picked up this pen to write  Too many thoughts of you  Too many anger-filled words Too many sorrow...