Saturday 13 August 2022

Son of Mine

 Son of mine your scars are showing

like neon lights guiding you to Rome

they glow and glimmer in the darkness plaguing your bones

oh my child

The door's open, it is time to come home


Do you know these thoughts - they are of your deepest darkest fears?

They are whispered to you at 2am on a smoky night

where no amount of air you breathe

can quiet the unrestrained in your mind


Son of the scorned, the pills rattle in your hand

as you tip your head back and swallow them whole

this descent of the lonely you have chosen

Son you do not have to do this on your own


Gunshots ring through the cries of help

as you shoot down every parent that has done you wrong

I am sorry I am yet another one down the line

Son of mine, I will carry you home


I will take your broken limbs and straighten them gently

I will curl your fingers and close your eyes

I will breathe my soul into your existence

Son of mine, do not leave me behind


It will be so easy to end it all in the name of existence

of the lonely, the hurt, the broken

but what of the tomorrow you will take away

once you realise this was not the path to be taken?


What of the friends you wormed your way into

that no amount of distance can push them away

what of the hearts you embalmed yourself into

can love truly not make you stay?


Oh the sorrow that now seeps out of me

to know my trembling bones can no longer hold you close

no, how can I do what you could not

When you don't want to be home?


Go , free, fly if you will

take my soul to the places beyond your sight

I will forever accept my failure to be what I was not

I did not stay when you needed me last night.


I do not know how to save those when I cannot save myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Inner child

Oh my friend, my familiar friend I've picked up this pen to write  Too many thoughts of you  Too many anger-filled words Too many sorrow...