Tuesday 15 September 2015

Education

"Come ill do your tie" my dad murmured, bending slightly as he started fixing my prefect tie. i watched his fingers, nimbly put the tie through all its knots, until it looked exactly like his. "i want to be like you daddy" i told him, as i smoothed his silk tie resting on his chest. Dad straightened up and smiled at me. "You already make me proud. Keep doing well in your class and be the best. Look at you. Youre already a Prefect in your class and youre the youngest by 2 years" he beamed at me, patted my head then walked off to his office, adjoining the master bedroom. i watched him walk off, and looked at myself in one of the hallway mirrors. i looked professional. with my crisp white private school uniform , with the logo i wore proudly on my breast, and the smokey grey tie showing off the words Prefect, i was so proud of myself. i felt powerful.

Little did i know that that ego was actually my downfall.

Ego and Pride are what keeps my family divided. Reputation, Self indulgence and the feeling of importance means alot. Growing up in that kind of atmosphere, my pride was a mere pole, compared to the mountain of pride my parents held themselves.this pride was the beginning of my depression, one of the main reasons i felt my self-worth crumble, for i based myself solely on pride. i used to be very arrogant, very angry, and very competitive in a way i fought to be the top. i relished the attention, that made me feel important and i loved the whispers and looks id get as i would walk around and people would instantly know me, either due to my academic results or my family name. Dad was always a powerful figure with straight shoulders and his head high above anyone else. mom shouldered him with her keen gaze and helped keep our family name polished. they both were masters at living with ego.

But i wasnt.






-3AM



No comments:

Post a Comment

Inner child

Oh my friend, my familiar friend I've picked up this pen to write  Too many thoughts of you  Too many anger-filled words Too many sorrow...